Sunday, February 10, 2008

Stereotypes live

I do freelance translation on the side to make a few extra bucks. And I mean few in the sense of "not very much." Often the assignments are diplomas and transcripts and stuff, but sometimes there are pretty interesting ones. Sometimes, though, they are really hard.

I suppose it is a stereotype that doctors have messy handwriting. But it's true! Especially Chinese doctors. Tonight I am working on a translation of a medical record, and trying to read the doctor's writing is pretty impossible. I have deciphered a few of the entries, including some of the prescriptions, but mostly I have to put [illegible] down. I did learn one useful word: 硝酸甘油 (nitroglycerin, xiao1 suan1 gan1 you2).

I feel bad because I turned down this assignment once, but I guess they couldn't find anyone else to do it. But I don't want the guy who's record it is to suffer because I couldn't read his doctor's handwriting.

Well, I'll keep at it. Hopefully we can go back to diplomas and such with the next round.

2 comments:

Susan Moger said...

Hi Ben,
I like the blog! Tell us about the year of the rat! What can we expect?!

Benjamin said...

Thanks Mom!
Well, since it is my year, I am supposed to wear a red belt all year. Supposedly in your year you either have really good or really bad luck. I'm gonna go with really good, this time around.